Monday, June 9, 2008

Lucky Bandana

Last week we had a 9:15pm softball game. It was virtually only players and a few wives. None of the normal kids were there. Before the game I decided I would wear a bandana over my head to the game. I have always kind of enjoyed wearing bandanas, but I never really do it consistently because I'm afraid of wearing the wrong colors and having someone mistake me for a gang member or something. Well, Theresa and I have been to Walmart, Target, and Hobby Lobby looking for bandanas I could wear without fear of anyone thinking I'm in a gang. The one I decided to wear to the game last week was particularly froofroo (spelling hammer?). I should have picked up on that since I got it from the little girls' section of Walmart. Regardless, I proudly wore it to the game, thanks to Theresa being able to fasten it safely to my head. Luckily for me, two things are true:
1) My wife is a good wife in that she doesn't mind if I look silly as long as I'm happy.
2) I'd rather someone think my bandana is froofroo and think I'm gay than think I am a gang member wearing the incorrect colors. I am a bit on the, "I don't particularly care what people think of my appearance" side of things, so since one choice was based on looks and one on safety, the type of bandanas I wear is an obvious choice.

Now to the point.

We won the game last week, 12-2. It was the first time I remember ever being on the winning side of a game with only 2 runs scored. Some of the female counterparts attributed the big W to the bandana.
This week, we won again, with me sporting the same bandana, freshly washed of course. The score this time was 6-4. Amazing that we could actually win a slow-pitch softball game with only 4 runs.
Needless to say, our success is clearly because of the bandana; at least according to a few of the females and my 'friendly' teammates who have given me 'nicknames'.

A funny part:
Tonight while Theresa was fastening it to my noggin, Miss Alexis asked her mother, "Why is Mrs. Theresa doing that? Mr. Eric looks silly!" Then after the game, Miss Alexis came to me and directly proclaimed, "You look funny Mr. Eric!" Ahh, children and their ability to say the truth! My response to Miss Alexis is that I may look funny, but at least I can tie my own shoes!!!

7 comments:

ninepoundhammer said...

Are you really concerned with gang violence? This ain't Compton, homie!

Anonymous said...

True, but like we said in regards to unmarked cars last night...safe trumps being sorry.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Alexis did think you looked silly. But at least she loves you enough to be honest. ;-)

-Christi

Brian Franklin said...

I hope I see the bandana tonight. It just wouldn't be the same without it. (I'm throwing you our secret gang sign right now, even though you can't see it)

Patricia said...

It was still a good game tonight but I think maybe it's time to try out a new bandana. This one seems to run out of its special powers.

Helen said...

You know you can post pictures on these blogs... I'm just saying...

Hannah D A said...

I agree with Helen, pictures Eric, we need pictures!