Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Being in the world not of the world according to Sinclair Ferguson

"We are often told not to be negative (notice the negative!). But this is bad counsel for those who would follow Christ. In his kingdom, being positive implies also being negative. Belonging to his kingdom means rejecting all the claims and the characteristics of this world's kingdoms. It means having a feeling of not belonging because you are 'strangers [aliens] in the world' (1 Peter 1:1)." (From The Sermon on the Mount, Kingdom Life in a Fallen World.)

When I was reading a week or so ago I stopped on this page because I felt he had just said something so profound that I had to mull it over for a while. Maybe this quote won't strike you how it did me, but it is certainly a good point either way.

Eric

2 comments:

Joshua Butcher said...

Good to see you are reading :-D. He has additional profundity in this week's chapter. It was hitting me hard as I was reflecting over it when preparing the outline for today's discussion.

ninepoundhammer said...

I can dig it.