Friday, May 23, 2008

Mountaineers from the Mountains

I know its a little late, but I wanted to wait a little bit before I posted about this in case our friends from West Virginia were irritated with their previous neighbors. For those of you that missed it, the Democratic Election was in WV last week. Following the election, which Clinton won by a crazy 40% margin, some people were asked what they thought of the candidates. I have two things to note, one serious and one in jest:
1) There are still many whites that don't consider blacks equal.
2) "In exit polls, one in five white voters said race played a role their decision – and more than 80 percent of those supported Clinton," so my question is for the 20% of whites who claimed racism and didn't vote for Clinton...did you mis-check the correct box?

There you have it. Racism is real even if we can't see it in our daily lives. Regardless of your political stance, as a Christian this is a huge problem that we must always be aware of in our own sinful hearts and our assumptions we make of strangers we meet. To me it seems there are only two distinct groups of people: the elect and the nonelect. Color of skin is certainly not one of them.

P.S. Since I've mostly written political thoughts on the democratic race lately you may be thinking I am a democrat. Well, I can tell you one thing about me: I hold no allegiance to either party. Rather, I take things issue by issue because I have problems with both parties that cause me to not feel comfortable enough to claim one. Just wait ye republicans, I shall give you some interesting thoughts when there is a little more news on them as November approaches.

1 comment:

Patricia said...

I can see the signs now: "Racists for Hilary!" I'm sure the Clinton's appreciate the love ;)