Monday, May 19, 2008

Oh To Be A Hippy

Lately I've been participating in a discussion over certain issues we hold dear to our hearts. Most of the issues boil down to the legitimacy of the Bible. Some of the discussions have been:
Person A: "2 Timothy 3:16-17"
Person B: Paul wrote that before the New Testament was compiled, so how can we include in it the New Testament?

All I can think of right now is how it would feel to be a hippy. "Peace and love man, yeahhhhh. *exhale"

Last night I was in this discussion to the point that I got a headache. This morning I was irritated by the responses over night. Now I'm just confused by the desire of some to dismantle the idea that the Bible is the Word of God.

2 comments:

Patricia said...

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will also be like him. Answer a fool as his folly deserves, that he not be wise in his own eyes. -Proverbs 26:4-5

Anonymous said...

Yeah, and "Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you." Matthew 7:4

The problem is discerning when you are dealing with dogs and not just people that are in error is not easy. We all want to be able to share the truth, but if the Spirit is not present within them, it is so hard. The feeling I feel right now must be a microcosm (spelling ninepoundhammer?) of what Paul felt when he was discussing the pain it caused him in Romans 9 when his own countrymen were unbelieving. Moses had a similar issue. Although mine is not on anywhere near that scale...I still feel the pain.